Powerful Tools for Caregivers is a series of classes designed to empower family caregivers of older adults to take better care of themselves. The “tools” learned in the six week series benefit caregivers by helping them reduce stress, improve caregiving confidence, establish balance in their lives, communicate their needs, make tough decisions and locate helpful resources. The evidence-based curriculum was developed by Dr. Kate Lorig and her colleagues at Stanford University. Learn more at their website.
Classes are led by certified class leaders. Topics include:
- Taking Care of You
- Identifying and Reducing Personal Stress
- Communicating Feelings, Needs and Concerns
- Learning from Emotions
- Communicating in Challenging Situations
- Mastering Caregiving Decisions
Classes are free to the community, made possible through a generous grant from the St. David’s Foundation. Like all of CaregiverU’s courses, Savvy Caregiver is led by certified class leaders. For more information, please contact Faith Unger, Project Coordinator: (512) 451-4611 x 244 or email@example.com.
Current Class Schedule:
Location: East Austin
- May 6 – June 10
- Wednesdays from 5:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Hope Lutheran Church, 6414 N. Hampton Drive, Austin 78723
- Registrar: Sharon Teague, (512) 926-0708 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Location: Northwest Austin
- May 21 – June 25
- Thursdays from 1:30 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Northwest Family YMCA, 5807 McNeil Drive Austin, TX 78729
- Registrar: Collette Cosby, (512) 335-9622 or email@example.com
- June 3-July 8
- Wednesdays from 6:30 to 8:00 p.m.
- Pflugerville Recreation Center, 400 Immanuel Road, Pflugerville
- Registrar: Clay Leben, 512 251-0200 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Location: Southwest Austin
- September 1 – October 6, 2015
- Tuesdays from 10:30 a.m. to noon
- St. CAtherine’s CAtholic Church, 4800 Convict Hill Road, Austin, TX 78749
- Registrar: Esther Quintanilla, 512 892 2433 email@example.com
- September 22 – October 27, 2015
- Tuesdays from 10:00 a.m. to 11:45 a.m.
- Christ Lutheran Church, 510 Luther Drive, Georgetown, TX 78628
- Registrar: Jan Rodgers, (512) 863-2844 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Location: Central Austin
- September 25-October 30, 2015
- Fridays from 11:30 to 1:00
- Town Lake YMCA, 1100 W. Cesar Chavez, Austin, TX 78703
- Registrar: Town Lake YMCA, (512) 542-9622
New classes are added regularly. Want to inquire about a class in your area? Contact Project Coordinator Faith Unger at email@example.com or 512-451-4611 x244.