Powerful Tools for Caregivers is a series of classes designed to empower family caregivers of older adults to take better care of themselves. The “tools” learned in the six week series benefit caregivers by helping them reduce stress, improve caregiving confidence, establish balance in their lives, communicate their needs, make tough decisions and locate helpful resources. The evidence-based curriculum was developed by Dr. Kate Lorig and her colleagues at Stanford University. Learn more at their website.
Classes are led by certified class leaders. Topics include:
- Taking Care of You
- Identifying and Reducing Personal Stress
- Communicating Feelings, Needs and Concerns
- Learning from Emotions
- Communicating in Challenging Situations
- Mastering Caregiving Decisions
Classes are free to the community, made possible through a generous grant from the St. David’s Foundation. Course materials are provided by the Area Agency on Aging of the Capital Area. For more information, please contact Faith Unger, Project Coordinator: (512) 451-4611 x 244 or email@example.com.
New classes are added regularly. Want to inquIre about a class in your area? Contact Project Coordinator Faith Unger at firstname.lastname@example.org or 512-451-4611 x244.
Current Class Schedule:
Location: East Austin
- Dates: Tuesdays, January 15 – February 19, 2013
- Time: 11:30 to 1:00 Lunch Included
- Address: Mt. Olive Baptist Church, 1800 E. 11th Street, Austin, TX 78702
- Registrar: Douglas Newton, 929-8752 or email@example.com
Location: Southwest Austin
- Tuesdays: February 5-March 12, 2013 Time:10:30 to 12:00
- Address: St. Catherine Catholic Church, 4800 Convict Hill Rd, Austin, 78749
- Registrar: Esther Quintanilla, 892-2433 or Esther.firstname.lastname@example.org
Location: Pflugerville Sundays: May 19 -June 23, 2013, from 10:30 to 1:00 Address: Vadtal swami Narayan Temple, 804 Ramble Creek Pflugerville, TX Registrar: Shubhada Saxena, 659-4328 email@example.com
Location: Central Austin
- Fridays: February 1-March 8, 2013, from 11:30 am -1:00
- Address: Town Lake YMCA , 1100 West Cesar Chavez Austin, TX Registrar: Michelle Mason, 656-5828 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Free Respite care provided
Location: South Austin
- Tuesdays: March 26-April 30; 1:00-2:30 p.m.
- Address: WellMed Senior Center Suite 125A, 706 W. Ben WhiteBlvd Austin, TX 78704
- Registrar: Jody Kelly, 589-1717 or email@example.com
Location: Round Rock
- Tuesdays, June 11 thru July 16 6:30-8:00 p.m.
- Address: Round Rock Adult Day Health Center, 475 Round Rock West Suite 120, Round Rock, TX 78681
- Registrar: Annette Juba, 451-4611, extension 243 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tuesdays, September from 11:30 to 1:30
- Address: Bastrop County Emergency Food Pantry, 806 Fayette Street, Bastop, TX 78602
- Registrar: Bastrop County Emergency Food Pantry, (512) 303-0033
Location: Southwest Austin
- Wednesdays, June 5-July 10, 2013 from 11:30 to 1:00 Free Respite Care and Lunch provided
- Address: Querencia at Barton Creek, 2500 Barton Creek Blvd. Austin, TX 78735
- Registrar: Janet Allen, 364-6501 or email@example.com
New classes are added regularly. Want to inquire about a class in your area? Contact Project Coordinator Faith Unger at firstname.lastname@example.org or 512-451-4611 x244.